Thursday, July 1, 2010

Meal Plan Update P1

Have you tried any of the recipes yet?? So far I've done two of them and both were quite yummy. Here are my pics - not as great as the original ones sadly - but it shows they are doable!

The breakfast pizza should actually be classified as the fast and easy recipe. I substituted the bacon for some pancetta that I needed to use and didn't have any scallions, so I used a leek and sauteed it with the pancetta to soften it. I used store bought crust and because of that there are just a couple of minor adjustments that need to be made. First, make sure you roll/flatten the crust thin. On her recipe, the baking time is around 10 minutes but the dough package will tell you at least 13. I wanted to make sure the dough was cooked through so I did the 13 minutes and by that point the eggs yolks weren't quite as soft as I would have preferred. So next time, I'd make sure the crust was thinner so I could cut the baking time by a few minutes. But it was still good.



The salmon burgers were not so fast. They are supposedly a 30 minute meal - but it took closer to an hour for me. However, they were fantastic! Mark really loved them. Make sure you get the right amount of the mayo mixture in with the salmon. I think I put a little too much in and so the patties were really soft and hard to get into the pan without having them fall apart. But once they were cooked, they stayed together quite well. Also, it says to cook on med-high heat, but the butter does burn pretty easy so I would put it on med and cook 4-5 min per side (vs. 3-4). Yum, yum. Definitely give these a try!

2 comments:

meg said...

I did try to stuffed zuch, only I used some leftover mashed potatoes I had instead of roasting some [think twice baked potatoes on zuch]. I actually used them as a side dish for pulled pork sandwiches, but I wish I had left the basil out. It gave them an Italian flavor which didn't mesh with the pork. I really loved them though, other than that. I am definitely keeping that recipe.

I also tried the breakfast pizza and loved it. I didn't have the parsley, and I like my scallions cooked a bit, so I sprinkled them on for the last few minutes of baking. Fabulous recipes! Thanks Heather!

Lacy said...

OH excited to try the breakfast pizza! We have a lot of eggs around here so any new idea on how to use them I jump at!