Sunday, June 27, 2010

Weekly Meal Plan: Check

When people find out that I rarely make the same thing twice, they often ask me where I get all my recipes from. Of course I have my favorites, but the answer is from all over. In honor of the name of the blog, I'm doing an experiment. I am going to give you five different meal ideas that you can use for next week, including a shopping list to go with it. There will be plenty of variety, including some easier and some more time consuming recipes, that use fresh seasonal ingredients to make it easier on the wallet.
My hope is that everyone will try them (even if they don't sound like something you'd normally make) and then to get some good feedback on what everyone thought. Hopefully I can get comments from someone other than my sister and husband (love you for those though). I will try and pull from a few different online sources for these. Also, I have not tried these recipes either.

1st Meal: Easy and Fast
From Fine Cooking
Salmon Burgers with Herb Aioli
Get the Recipe
Serve with: Roasted Corn with Spiced Butter
Shuck 4 ears of corn for best results or drain 2 cans of corn and saute in skillet until kernels begin to turn a golden brown (some may begin to char). Mix 2 Tbsp. of butter with 1/4 tsp of each of the following: garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and honey and 1/8 tsp of each of the following: mace, sage, cayenne, and thyme. Once corn is ready, melt half the butter with the corn and dollop the remaining butter on top when serving.


2nd Meal: Vegetarian
From Mel's Kitchen Cafe
Ultimate Stuffed Zucchini
Get the Recipe
Serve with: Fresh Green Salad


3rd Meal: Ethnic
From Food Network
Stewed Chicken
Get the Recipe
Serve with: Basmati Rice
Put 2-3 cups of rice (and appropriate amount of water), 2 tsp. turmeric powder, and 2 tsp. butter in rice cooker.


4th Meal: Breakfast Inspired
From Smitten Kitchen
Breakfast Pizza
Get the Recipe

She makes her own pizza dough for this, but if your not up for the time that takes, go ahead and buy the refrigerated pizza dough.

5th Meal: Outdoor Friendly
From Fine Cooking
Grilled Skirt Steak with Quick Romesco Sauce
Get the Recipe

This can be cooked on a grill outside or for those of us who don't have that option, in a grill pan on the stove.

Serve with: Sweet Potato Fries
Cut approx. 2 lbs sweet potatoes into 1-inch wedges and place on baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle cumin, paprika and salt to taste. Mix around and cook at 425 degrees for about 25 minutes or until soft and browned - flipping halfway through.


Shopping List
Grocery Store:
9 cloves of garlic
Chives (you need quite a bit so worth it to get fresh)
Dill (fresh is best, but can sub dry 1Tbsp. fresh=1tsp. dried)
Basil ("")
1 lemon
4 zucchinis
3 med. red potatoes
2 med. onions
7 med tomatoes
Bunch of scallions
1 bell pepper
Bunch of flat-leaf/Italian parsley
1 shallot
2 lb. sweet potatoes
4 ears of corn (best, but can sub 2 cans of corn)
Green Salad/Lettuce
Hamburger Buns
Sandwich Bread (need only 1 slice)
Basmati Rice (or preferred type)
7.5 oz. jar roasted red peppers (can usually find in aisle with pickles/jarred olives)
6 oz. shredded Monteray Jack cheese
1/2 c. shredded Parmesan cheese
2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
6 Eggs
Refrigerated Pizza Dough (sub if you aren't making your own)
1 1/4 - 1 1/2 lb. skirt steak
6 strips bacon
3 1/2 lb. chicken pieces
1 lb. salmon fillet (boneless and skinless)

Pantry (make sure you have everything on this list before going to the store)
Mayonnaise
Dijon Mustard
Lemon Juice (can sub for small amounts of fresh lemon juice if necessary)
Butter
Olive Oil
Ketchup
Cider Vinegar (can usually sub one type of vinegar for other types)
Sherry Vinegar
Sesame Oil (great investment if you do a lot of ethnic/Asian cooking)
Brown Sugar
Sugar
Yeast (if making your own pizza crust)
Flour (if making your own pizza crust)
Slivered Almonds
Honey

Spices:
Salt and Peper
Dill (if subbing for fresh)
Cayenne
Basil
Cumin
Curry Powder
Oregano
Thyme
Rosemary
Onion Powder
Garlic Powder
Red Pepper Flakes
Sweet Paprika (smoked or not)
Turmeric (optional)
Mace
Sage

Happy Cooking! Stay tuned for a post on seasonal desserts. Yum.

2 comments:

Nicolette said...

Yummmm... all of these look so good. The salmon burger looks good. I love salmon patties, but I've never had a burger. I want to try that and the stewed chicken.

meg said...

I will have to try the zuch one! I am in love with zuc lately. I am actually going to leave my car doors unlocked so that people will leave their humongous zucchinis in my car.

kidding.

but I might put up some kind of a sign like "welcome zucchinis" or something on my porch. Next to my welcome Heather and CeCi sign! yay!